I’m not a sports fan, except I will occasionally participate in the madness and enjoy the periodic live game. I admire skill, but I think amateur sports a re lot more entertaining. So to read about John Wooden has been interesting because I knew so little about this sports hero.
Although I am usually skeptical of the advice given by coaches, businessmen or celebrities, I find the following a reasonable creed.
John Wooden’s Seven Point Creed.
- Be true to yourself.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Help others.
- Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
- Make friendship a fine art.
- Build a shelter against a rainy day.
- Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.
Personally, I think clergy could learn from good coaches. It is one of the skills that should replace pastoral care.