I’m not sure if there is causal or correlative, but I wonder if there a link between the decline of the mainline church and:
1) Less political involvement
2) Higher levels of stress, anxiety and frustration
3) A decline in voluntarism
4) Higher rates of depression
5) Greater concentration of wealth
6) Balkanization of our social networks, by class, age and interest
I’m not sure of church is a “cure,” or what an antidote is. On the other hand, our desires can now be more easily gratified. We can avoid the difficulty of people in the flesh through the ease of people online. But it seems that this merely has the impact of concentrating power in the hands of those who control the platforms to which we’ve become addicted.